The Joining of Cultures
Tena koutou katoa,
Te Hononga o nga whakaaro, hei tuapapa mo te mahi tahi, tutuki noa to tatou kaupapa. A melding of ideas as a firm foundation for combined effort and realisation of our collective vision.
Our Vision - Te Pae Tawhiti
Inspired by our friendship with Friedensreich Hundertwasser, Te Hononga is a community-led project and will fuse environmental build and design with natural materials, Toi Māori art, culture and shared community spaces.
Located in Kawakawa, behind the world-famous Hundertwasser Toilets (opened in 1999), Te Hononga will be a centre for our local community and manuhiri (visitors) alike. A place to celebrate arts, culture and a connection to each other and our environment.
The proposed Park Centre
- Interpretive centre / memorial to Hundertwasser
- Public gallery & viewing platform
- Community workshop
- Library & Council service centre
- Atea & town square
- Improved public amenities & parking
- Connections to the Hundertwasser Memorial Park, native nursery, sculpture, walking and cycle trails, plus the wider wetland restoration project Te Papa Paorooro, the Echoing Wetland
Construction will start February 2019 with an aim to open October 2020, 20 years after the opening of the original Hundertwasser toilets.